THE CLINICAL UTILITY OF FOLDSCOPE
The clinical utility of Foldscope
The clinical utility of Foldscope in the diagnosis of diseases has been explored and validated by the Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh.
- Foldscope is an affordable paper microscope. It was designed to be portable and durable while performing on par with conventional research microscopes.
- The Foldscope helps in views very tiny things like bacteria, blood cells, and single-celled organisms. As well as larger things like insects, fabrics, organic tissues.
- The study examined the use of the Foldscope in the clinical diagnosis of oral and urinary tract infections and evaluated its efficacy as a motivational tool for improving oral health among school children in India.
Smartphone mounted foldscope:
- Foldscope is an origami-based microscopy device. It is composed of a series of paper clippings. The device can hold a specimen slide for observation, and this specimen can be viewed via a mobile phone camera attached to it.
- The study identifies that Foldscope is particularly convenient to diagnose urinary tract infection and monitor kidney stones. Using this tool, one can easily monitor their own-kidney stone status at home with a simple glass-slide, a Foldscope, and a phone. Such easy monitoring could perhaps avoid kidney stone reaching a painful state or surgery in recurring cases.
- Foldscope is capable of visualizing calcium oxalate crystals, which are a major cause of kidney stones. Foldscope can thus be applied in regions where people are more prone to kidney stones due to environmental factors such as water quality.
- Given the ease of operation and low cost, Foldscope may be employed in public healthcare centers for primary diagnosis of oral health and UTI or as a personal health monitoring device.
- The researchers compare the Foldscope to a clinical microscope by examining five different types of clinical samples. Among other clinical samples, the Foldscope was effective in detecting infection in dental plaque samples and urine samples.